04 October 2004

Who is this kid teaching my child?

Sharon and I attended Back to School Night last week.

It was Tuesday, when what was left of Jeane. We arrived about 10 minutes early and the place was jammed. There was no parking to be found; we ended up three blocks away. We had umbrellas, but they were little use in horizontal rain and the inch of water on the sidewalk. By the time we got there, we were drenched.

We made our way to the auditorium to listen to the opening presentation. The principal gave a very nice speech and proceeded to introduce the faculty. They announced my daughter's teacher and she stood up. Seeing her, I immediately thought to myself, "what is she, like twelve?" As everyone applauded, Sharon turned to me and said, "what is she, like twelve?"

We made our way to the classroom. Actually it's not a room, but a partitioned space in the geodesic domed building that is my daughters school. Geodesic domes were big in the sixties, I guess. I think it was supposed to promote a more open and flexible education space or something. Actually it's just noisy. But I digress.


In fact, the teacher is really nice, and my daughter likes her. She explained her class and the curriculum, and I think my daughter's in a good class. She's also been teaching at the school for five years. And, okay, she doesn't really look twelve.

But I'll bet they still ask her for ID.

No comments: