07 November 2004

Open letter to President Bush (final version)

Rob asked me if I actually sent the letter. I had not, as I wanted to tweak it further an elicit some comment. This is the version I sent to the president:

Dear Mr. President,

To begin with, congratulations on your victory. I will tell you up front that it is not the outcome I had hoped for. However, you have received the majority of both the electoral college and the popular vote. It is the latter in particular that leads me to accept your victory. I have often argued that the President should be chosen by a simple majority. It is clear that the electorate wants you in office, and I would be a hypocrite to dispute this.

I listened to your victory speech on November 3. It was a good speech, and I thought you did a nice job delivering it. I appreciate your kind words about John Kerry and his supporters. I want to thank your for offering to earn my trust and support. I will try to keep an open mind, but frankly I doubt your sincerity in this offer.

In 2000 you made a similar offer to those whose vote you did not receive. I felt your subsequent actions did not demonstrate any real desire on your part to reach across party lines. Your cabinet nominees included people like John Ashcroft, Donald Rumsfeld, and Gail Norton. In defining your energy policy, you met almost exclusively with energy corporation representatives, ignoring environmental interests. The majority of the tax cuts you proposed would go to the wealthiest among us.

In the wake of 9/11, you had the support of the nation and the world. We were united with you against a common enemy. But the agenda you pursued seemed destined to divide us again. You sought limits on our rights to privacy. You fought at every level the investigations of events leading up to 9/11. You invaded Iraq on dubious pretenses yet admit not a single mistake. You or members of your staff have questioned the patriotism of those that disagree with you.
Now, only one day after asking for my trust and support, your statements and agenda suggest to me that you want neither. It would seem that what your are really offering me is the option to join you in pursuing the agenda I voted against. I hope you will understand that this is highly unlikely.

Best regards,
Andrew - ---------

No comments: