19 April 2007

Priorities

    A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
      Theodore Roosevelt

When I look at some people's priorities, I really start to wonder if we're not all just doomed.

The Center of NJ Life reported today on the abysmal turnout for school budget elections yesterday. Unfortunately, this is par for the course. As for the results, where do I start?

In 2005 I voiced my support of every person who votes, regardless of how they voted. I still hold to that sentiment. I applaud everyone who voted, really I do, but, they're not making it easy.

Yesterday voters in Hightstown and East Windsor voted down a budget item that would have hired some additional teachers for educational programs that would go beyond the core curriculum mandated by law. However, they voted to keep funding courtesy transportation - busing that goes beyond what is mandated by law.

More transportation. Less education. That's our priority.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just being picky, but 'bussing' means kissing; you meant 'busing.'

Rob S. said...

When I'm President, there'll be federally-mandated bussing. French bussing, even.